Friday, February 13, 2009

Don't I Feel Silly

Image credit: ThinkGeek




You'd think that with as much time as I've spent around Unix and its imitators, I'd have known about this by now:

Unix weenies everywhere will be partying like it's 1234567890 this Friday.

That's because, at precisely 3:31:30 p.m. Pacific time on February 13, 2009, the 10-digit "epoch time" clock used by most Unix computers will display all ten decimal digits in sequence. (That's 6:31:30 Eastern, or 23:31:30 UTC.)

Unix Lovers to Party Like It's 1234567890

This momentous event has now passed, and the only thing I did to celebrate was finish my lunch.

In my defense, I'm not used to seeing Unix time in decimal. 0x499602D2 doesn't strike me as a terribly interesting number for some reason. Guess I need one of those fancy clocks.

By the way, I have somewhere I need to be at 1234582290. Remind me, will you?


2 comments:

Dana Hunter said...

The things I miss out on being a Windows user...

Cujo359 said...

Like not being able to remember how to shut down the computer because it's been so long?

The really cool thing about Unix time is that since it's an integer, you can do all sorts of calculations quickly. ;)