Thursday, May 28, 2009

Drill, Baby, Drill

Image credit: Lionel Trains


Looks like I'll be getting into the oil business, at least in a financial sense:

From: Ahmed Idris [Add to Address Book]
To: undisclosed-recipients@null, null@null
Subject: INVESTMENT PROPOSAL FROM EXXON MOBIL PLC
Date: May 27, 2009 9:25 AM

Attn Sir I'm Ahmed Idris, a representative of ExxonMobil in London (http://www.exxonmobil.com). I have a sensitive and private brief from the Senior Executives of this top oil company in need of your partnership to re-profile funds amounting to US$18M (Eighteen Million United States Dollars).

I will let you have the details, but in summary, the fund would be paid to you through a Finance Company where it is presently deposited as soon as the filing and documentation process is concluded in your name.

This is a legitimate transaction without government interference and you shall be compensated with 20% of the total sum, should you and your company agrees to work with us?. If you are interested, please reply back to me via this email ahmedidris@sify.com for further details.

Regards,
Dr Ahmed Idris

I don't know much about the oil business, but apparently that's not a problem. Hey, it's a tough economy right now, so I'm sure it's hard to find qualified applicants.

As usual, the sender e-mail address has been obscured, since I have no idea whose address that is. It's unlikely that the scammers are using one of their real names. The sify.com address is the one in the Reply To field of the e-mail, so I'd say it could legitimately be said that it belongs to the scammers.

Of course, it's unlikely in the extreme that Exxon Mobil has anything to do with this. Lionel is not in any way connected with this article, either, except for having a picture of a cute little toy oil derrick on the Internet.


2 comments:

Dana Hunter said...

My goodness, your inbox is just flooded with opportunity. Isn't it nice to be so in demand?

Cujo359 said...

What's even more astounding is that I'm only sharing the novel ones.