Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Slight Change In Comments Policy

Image credit: PuppyDogWeb.com

Zip is back with an announcement about a site policy change, and a tip for managing your Blogspot blog.

Actually, I've been doing this for a while, but it's going to continue. For three or four months now, I've been putting comments to articles that are older than 31 days into moderation. I've now changed that to be 14 days. The only reason I'm doing this is to deal with the increase in spam comments that have been showing up here recently. Please feel free to comment on older articles if you wish.

In fact, moderatiing those comments also makes it more likely that I'll notice them. So, if you're trying to communicate your ideas to me, it's actually better this way. As long as they follow the rules, I'm glad for all comments, pro and con.

There will be times, like when I have an older article in COTEB or some other blog carnival, that I'll temporarily expand the unmoderated period again. For the most part, though, this is what the policy will continue to be.

As for those spam comments, if you see them, please don't click on any links that they provide. Anyone who does this sort of thing is fundamentally dishonest, and you probably shouldn't be doing business with them, or rewarding them by increasing their hit counts.

Now, for those of you who blog at Blogspot and want to set up comments this way, here's how to do it. Go to this page in your dashboard:



and then scroll down to this item, click on the Only on posts older than radio button, and then fill in the box with the days you want to leave comments unmoderated:



Then hit the big orange Save settings button at the bottom of the screen.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

I didn't know Blogspot could do this! Thanks for the info--I've set up my blog the same way.

Cujo359 said...

I found this out quite by accident, so figured I wasn't the only one who didn't know. You're welcome.