Monday, September 21, 2009

So Long, Christy

Caption: Christy Hardin Smith at the Netroots Nation 2009 panel on the Supreme Court.

Image credit: Cropped from this Eli photo by Cujo359

Christy Hardin Smith, one of the folks I've loved to quote over the years, is calling it quits when it comes to blogging:

As you all know, the last year and a half have been tough on the Smith family. It has been beyond exhausting juggling everything that has been flung our way.

But when you try keeping eighty bazillion balls in the air at one time when you have lupus?

Apparently your body decides to get even with you. And, let's just say, mine is doing so at the moment.
...
I'm going to have to step away from blogging for a while, because I want to live to see the woman that The Peanut will become as she grows up. And I want to grow old with Mr. ReddHedd, who may just be the best husband on the planet and is most certainly the love of my life.

Pull Up A Chair...

While I don't know the specifics of her condition, it would take a lot of motivation to pull Christy away from the keyboard. I certainly agree with her priorities, not that it should matter what I think.

These last couple of years I haven't been able to read as much of her writing. Other parts of her life have taken priority, and I'm never up early enough to get to the "Pull Up A Chair" thread she moderated every Saturday. I've valued her insights when she could offer them, though, as she occasionally still did on Supreme Court decisions and torture. She also has a dry sense of humor, as this comment to that thread shows:

Morning everyone. I have the world’s loudest cardinal out on my feeder, and the world’s most obsessed cat staring at him…this will end with a head bonk on the glass, I’m certain.

Pull Up A Chair...

So, I'll miss her, and hope that she can find a way to come back and visit from time to time.


No comments: