Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wake Me Up...

Yes, it's that time again. What's worse, its the tenth anniversary, and it's 9/11/11. All the way around, I'm sure this is a bad day to be on the Internet or watching TV news.

Last year at this time, I wrote that I would never write about this day again on this day. I suppose I kept that promise, because I'm writing this in March, having just listened to the song I featured last year on this day. Remember this?

Caption: Screenshot from the music video for "Life Is A Highway".

Image credit: Screenshot from this YouTube video by Cujo359

If you have, then good, you were paying attention. If not, and you feel some need to remind me to remember Sept. 11, 2001, please just answer the following questions:
  • How much of the world do we have to blow up before you forget about 9/11?
  • How many freedoms do we have to give up before you feel safe?
  • Do you really think I, or anyone else who was around at that time, is ever likely to forget? Just how forgetful are you?
So, just shut the fuck up and drive, and for crying out loud, let September end. Because goodness knows, I've heard enough obsessive nonsense about it to last a lifetime.

UPDATE: As One Fly pointed out in comments, that video has been blocked. You can see the same video here, where it's apparently OK as long as there's a commercial in front of it.

UPDATE 2: If you want to know what obsessing about an event like this can do to a society, read Riverdaughter.

UPDATE 3: To those who keep declaring that the world changed on 9/11 - no, it didn't. The world was like that already. Vietnam happened, so did Cambodia, Afghanistan, Rwanda, Sarajevo, Tianamen Square, Persian Gulf, and scores of other slaughters that I've simply forgotten about, and that's just since I was born. Some America had a hand in, many we didn't. There were terrorist attacks, too. It's like that because, often as not, it's run by cold-hearted selfish bastards who are perfectly willing to climb to the top of the heap by making a ramp of the bodies they've created.

If you think the world changed, it was because you finally noticed what was going on in the rest of the world, after it finally happened here.

What changed was us. We changed, because we obsessed about what happened when we should have been thinking about so many other things, and because we were afraid. We didn't change for the better. People who obsess about things never do.

Don't tell me to remember. Tell me when you're ready to move on.


3 comments:

One Fly said...

NO SHIT!!

Your video has been blocked. I'm sure the country is safer.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Amen, brother.

Cujo359 said...

Thanks One Fly. Yes, I feel so much safer...

Amen, Sister Teresa.