Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday Photo(s)

It's the end of January, which is pretty much the dead of winter in the Pacific Northwest, as it is in much of the country. Aside from the occasional sports diversion, it's not a time of high excitement, what with the lack of sunshine. At the Winter Solstice, there's about seven hours of daylight in the Northwest, on a good day. There also aren't all that many good days, so we tend to appreciate the sun when we do see it.

As an antidote, I thought I'd put up a few panoramas I've taken in the American Southwest in the last few years. If you want sun in winter, that's probably the best place to go. In years past, they've often played the Super Bowl in that region, but this year, it's in Indianapolis.

Who knows, you might want to come back here next Sunday, too.

These photos are from El Paso, Texas. The first was taken from tramway station that you take to get to the observation tower on Ranger Peak. Ranger Peak is part of that ridge you feel like you're flying toward if you take off toward the west from El Paso International:

Image credit: All images by Cujo359

That's looking toward the east, with Ft. Bliss toward the left, and El Paso International Airport toward the right. Here's a view of the tram, incidentally:


Which in itself is quite a sight.

Once you're there, the view is pretty spectacular, particularly on a clear day. Here's what things look like toward the southwest, with downtown El Paso near the center, and Cuidad Jaurez, Mexico, in the distance. At one time, before the Mexican War, El Paso and Juarez were one city. You can still see that in this photo:


This view looks toward the northwest, in the general direction of Los Cruces, New Mexico:


I think that's enough sun for now. Don't want to overdo it, now, do we? There will be more next week. Promise. It's already cued up and ready to go next Sunday.

Click on the pictures to enlarge, and have a good Sunday.


4 comments:

Dana Hunter said...

The Pacific Northwest has ruined me. I expect green growing things and virtually no sunshine. Deserts and sunlight now make me squirmy.

The bare rocks, though, now those are nice.

Cujo359 said...

The desert is a nice change of pace from all this green stuff, particularly in the winter. After a couple of weeks of it, though, I'm usually ready to come back.

Unknown said...

I used to live in AZ so the desert isn't my favorite place to live..visits are ok..but summers are friggin brutal dude, which is why I think the idiots there keep voting Jan Brewer in..their brains are fried from all that heat. ;-P

winters are magnificent there as you say..so I get why the population more than doubles that time o' year.

Cujo359 said...

I've been there, for thankfully brief visits, in the summer, Dusty. Yes, the summers are brutal. I was in Phoenix in late May a few years ago, and the temperature was already over 100 F in the daytime. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.