Sunday, March 18, 2012

Profiles In Fierce Advocacy: Wait For The Friday News Dump

As I wrote at the time, President Obama's decision to require insurance companies to provide coverage for contraception was something that confounded me at the time:
President Obama has ducked abortion votes from the time he started his political career. In contrast to his obvious prejudices on economic policy, I don't know enough about his advisors on this subject to know what his own views might be. What's clear, though, is that the right to an abortion has never been something he's been willing to go out on a political limb for, even when that limb is as strong as support within his own constituency for that right.

If past is prologue, then he won't be fighting for it this time, either. I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I think we can expect some sort of peace offering from the White House to the religious fanatics in the next few days.

Progressive Idiocy: Chickens Coming Home To Roost
I was actually starting to believe I was wrong about this. Because I'm never wrong when I'm being a pessimist about the Obama Administration.

So, I was mystified. Somehow, I figured, there has to be a way he'll get out of having to confront the churches about providing their employees with birth control. Sure enough, that shoe dropped with the Friday news dump:
Taking a conciliatory tone and asking for a wide range of public comment, the Obama administration announced this afternoon new accommodations on a controversial mandate requiring contraceptive coverage in health care plans.

Coming after a month of continued opposition from the U.S. bishops to the mandate, which was first revised in early February to exempt certain religious organizations, today’s announced changes from the Department of Health and Human Services make a number of concessions, including allowing religious organizations that self-insure to be made exempt.

Obama Administration Issues New Contraception Mandate Rules
That's better, I'm right when I think things are about to get worse, and Barack Obama is once again acting like the two-faced bastard he always was. Two things that are as universal as Planck's constant.

God's in his heaven again.

I can't wait to find out how he'll renege on requiring all other insurance to cover contraception. It's coming, I'm sure of it.

Maybe not until 2013, though.


2 comments:

One Fly said...

"two-faced bastard"

Very harsh for Cujo

It's true

bama is no friend

I hate this word verification

going once

Cujo359 said...

Apparently, I'm feeling harsh these days. It's hard to see what's left of this country's freedoms and sense of justice erode away and not feel harsh. It's hard to watch someone who was elected to fix at least some of that lie to us and then call us whiners when we point out that he didn't do what he said he was going to, and that the excuses he offers are lies, too.

My father used to say that Reagan lied every time he opened his mouth, which is a succinct and true observation. Reagan is Obama's intellectual spirit guide. I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised he's turned out to be so much like The Great Communicator.

So, I do feel badly about writing such a thing, but it's the truth as I see it.