Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Watch For Tumbleweeds

Image credit John Sullivan, Wikipedia. Reduced by Cujo359

For the next few weeks, it's going to be pretty quiet around here. Once more, I have other things that I'll be doing that will be occupying my limited attention.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of thoughts I'd like to leave you with.

First, as I've mentioned before, Kevin Hayden is having a fundraising drive, and so far it's been a disappointment. So head on over there and help him out, OK?

Second, Slobber and Spittle Blue candidate Donna Edwards suddenly has an extra election to contend with. I received this e-mail from her campaign earlier in the week:

Last week I sent you news that Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has set a date of June 17, 2008, for a Special General Election to replace retiring Congressman Albert Wynn.

The Democratic Central Committees of Montgomery and Prince George's Counties voted overwhelmingly to heed the will of the voters of the 4th Congressional District and place my name on the June ballot as the Democratic nominee. Now, I have to run another campaign; run ads; and get voters to the polls all over again. The Special General Election is 48 days away.

Sure enough, Edwards was nominated by the Prince George's County Democratic Central Committee to run for the seat vacated by Al Wynn. Like many of the corporate whores in DC, Wynn left before the House's conflict of interest rules changed. He's already accepted a job with a DC lobbying firm. It would be wonderful to seat Edwards early, since that would mean that there'd be another strong progressive voice in Congress this summer.

But she has to win the special election first. So head on over to SnS Blue and make a donation if you can.

Before you do that, though, there's one more announcement. I've added Eric Massa, a candidate for Congress from the 29th District in New York, to SnS Blue. The reason is simple - he belongs there. I had heard and read good things about him, but hadn't gotten around to checking his positions. Needless to say, I'm impressed. He's one of the few candidates who openly endorse the idea of a single-payer health care system, a system whose time has come in my opinion. That alone would make him a good addition to Congress, but there's much more. This would be a good year to put him there.

Well, I'm running out of time. There's lots of linky goodness here to explore, and I'll be back before the end of the month.


No comments: