Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Guest Posts

Image credit: Kristian D.

I've never written about this subject, and am frankly amazed that I feel the need now. Nevertheless, I received what I suspect is one of those cleverly written spam e-mails saying that this is a follow-up to a request to do a guest blog post.

So, let me make things clear...

I'm glad to host guest posts, given the caveats that I'll get to in a moment. There are people out there, I'm sure, who don't want start their own blogs, or who want and deserve additional exposure. Occasionally, I've even offered people the chance to post guest articles here if they want. The fact is, though, I was familiar with their work already, and I invited them. So, if I don't know who you are, the first thing you need to do is introduce yourself, at least as your Internet persona, so that I can know what to expect.

Caveats:

  • I reserve the right to not use what you send me. I don't really need to explain why, either.
  • It can't be something you've posted other places. I will look.
  • There is no money involved. I don't make any money from this blog, and neither will you.

Personally, I think that if you are going to go to the trouble of doing all that, you'd be better off posting a guest diary at FireDogLake, or another big blog that is roughly aligned with your own political or ideological predispositions.

Still, if despite all that, you still want to guest blog here, go ahead and send an e-mail to my nom de ordinateur (don't capitalize the 'c') at the mail server earthlink.net, and I'm happy to help if I can.

If you're the person who was supposedly following up, by the way, please pretend I never received that initial e-mail, because as far as I can tell, I didn't.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Bwahahahahahaaa!

I just blew beer out of my nose Cujo.

The odds of you publishing anything I wrote are about the same as me winning the lottery.

No offense taken pal, I ain't for everyone.

I too, have had those same emails although I have in the past allowed guest posts and probably will in the future, I am just a bit more discerning than I used to be.

Good idea pointing out the FDL avenue though.
I have done that and wound up on the front page before!

It still amazes me.

Cujo359 said...

The person who wrote that e-mail hasn't written back, so it must have been some sort of scam. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it might be, but I'm sure some clever soul has figured out an angle.

Frankly given that avenues like MyDD and FDL are available, I doubt anyone would ask to post here, anyway.

Cujo359 said...

Oh, and let me add that when I extended an invitation to guest blog, it was to people who didn't have a blog of their own. Most people who have a blog are getting as much Internet exposure as I am, if not more. That's why I don't really do Blog Amnesty Day. ;-)