Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Photo

This is what I saw as I was driving north yesterday on Highway 99:

Image credit: Cujo359

Off in the distance are the Olympic Mountains. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, it's unusual to see them this time of year. After teasing you with a little glimpse, I was hoping for an opportunity to show what they really look like. I was lucky to catch this view so soon after.

To the far right is Vashon Island, and in front of it is Maury Island. I took this picture from a parking lot near South 288th in Des Moines, Washington. There's an Italian restaurant close by, with a view very similar to this one. On a warm, clear day it's worth a drive across town.

Click on the photo to enlarge. Even reduced, this photo is a rather large file. Still, I think there's enough detail to justify the extra time downloading.

Have a good Sunday.


4 comments:

Ynwestor said...

It reminds me my country. We have same landscapes in Poland.

ynwestor, Poland 51 N 17 E

Cujo359 said...

I think the combination of islands and a bay is somewhat rare. In addition to Puget Sound, we also have the Chesapeake Bay on the East Coast. There certainly aren't many others in North America.

51N and 17E is near Wroclaw? I looked it up on Google Maps. It looks like maybe Gdansk or the northwest coast of Poland might have some similar landscapes to what we see around Puget Sound. You're at roughly the same latitude as we are (a little north, actually).

Thanks for commenting.

Suzanne said...

gorgeous photo cujo. gonna have to head up north when it is spring.

Cujo359 said...

I think I know a restaurant you'd like ...