Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Good Day In Washington State

Just wanted to say how proud I am of Washington voters. Not only did they pass a referendum in favor of "domestic partnership" rights for gays by a narrow margin, but they also defeated the latest in a long line of tax cutting initiatives that have made this state progressively more difficult to run properly over the last twenty years.

Caption: County by county vote results for 2009 referendum R-71. Green represents a majority "Yes" vote.

Image credit: Washington Secretary of State

The domestic partnership initiative, R-71, appears to be passing 51-49 with essentially all of the ballots counted. While the vote was narrow, and was not for a right that was called "marriage", it's a sign of progress. The county by county results tell an interesting story. While King County, which includes Seattle and much of the state's population, was overwhelmingly in favor, Pierce County, which includes Tacoma, Fort Lewis and McChord AFB, rejected it, as did most of the rural counties.

Caption: County by county vote results for 2009 initiative I-1033. Yellow represents a majority "No" vote.

Image credit: Washington Secretary of State

Local tax-cut welfare recipient Tim Eyman's latest initiative, I-1033, was rejected, 55-45. On this ballot measure, the progressive side seems to have had more support. The measure was rejected in a number of counties besides King. I think maybe the recession, combined with the increasingly dreadful traffic situation in this region, has focused peoples' attention on the fact that there are worse things in life than paying taxes. Let's hope, anyway. I doubt we've seen the last of these initiatives, though. Eyman seems to be making a good living from them.

In the King County Commissioner's race, Democrat Dow Constantine defeated Republican Susan Hutchison, despite the help of Washington State Democrats.

UPDATE: Added several expository links at noon, PST.

UPDATE 2: I should point out that the issue of whether R-71 has passed has still not been officially announced as of 10:45 PM PST. It's ahead by 37,000 votes, but the state went to an all mail-in ballot system this year. This may change how election results progress. I don't think there are enough votes to overturn this lead, but it may take another day or two to be sure, and I think everyone is flying blind here when it comes to making predictions based on the results so far.

UPDATE 3 (Nov. 5): As of 5:00 PM PST, R-71 approval's lead has increased to 61,000 votes, 52 to 48 percent.


2 comments:

Dana Hunter said...

Oshitoshitoshit... I hope R-71 doesn't tank. I didn't get me ballot, didn't realize I wasn't getting me ballot till it was too late to get one, and ended up sitting here chewing my nails. As the map shows, the state's still full o' assclowns, and if they win because I didn't vote, I shall feel very badly.

At least our voters are marginally more enlightened than the idiots in the not-so-great state of Maine... so far. And I'm glad a good majority were smart enough not to fall for Eyman's snake oil. Amazing. There's hope yet.

Cujo359 said...

I get the feeling Eyman's stock is somewhat devalued here. He's been in several scandals concerning his funding. He's no longer allowed to be the treasurer of his own organization, for instance.

As for the vote count, it would be a shame, but I suspect that the votes will be coming in late from King County at roughly the same rate that they do from everywhere else. R-71 might be defeated, but I'd be very surprised at this point.