Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Football's Not Quite Over For Some, 2011 Edition

Caption: The Seahawk's Twelfth Man flag flies over some football monument in Seattle. Image credit: USA Today



Yes, it's that time of year again, when a couple of teams will end up being the lucky ones who endure two weeks of pointless interviews before they play the last game of the season. This year, neither the Seattle Seahawks, nor the Philadelphia Eagles will be the ones answering ridiculous questions.

Of course, I haven't really been following either team. I haven’t followed the Seahawks since they had themselves a new stadium built at phenomenal expense to the taxpayers. They managed to make it to the big game a few years ago, which created a bit of excitement, but since then they'd returned to their old style of play - which is to say they generally weren't very good. This year, they managed to back into a division championship, but lost this weekend.

For a team with such a lovely stadium, they sure don't play very well.

The Eagles, on the other hand, lost because they deserve it. At least, I could tell myself that if I believed that we lived in a just universe. Any team that would hire a guy who tortured dogs because, well, what the heck, he had this farm and all, deserves to lose as long as it can't remember that sometimes the price of winning is too high. As it is, they just didn't play very well, which is pretty typically their playing style, as well. At least, that's what the score tells me - I don't follow the Eagles anymore, either.

My relatives in Pennsylvania tell me they have a lovely stadium, too.

So, that's it for this year, except for two conference championships and that other thing I already mentioned. You can be sure everything I have predicted will come to pass, plus one team will lose each game.

It's the kind of analysis you just won't find anywhere else.


No comments: