Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hey, Guess What ...

Is anyone surprised at this?
Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed "Curveball" by German and American intelligence officials, now admits he made up tales of mobile biological weapons trucks and clandestine weapons factories in Iraq, information that was used by the Bush White House to press the case for war. He also says he'd do it again.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," Janabi told The Guardian. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

'Curveball': I Lied About Iraq WMD To Help Topple Saddam
Anyone who thinks that someone from another country wouldn't lie to a foreign intelligence service to serve his own agenda, or that of his country, is a damn fool. Anyone who would believe someone who says something like this with no credible corroborating evidence, which is what the situation clearly was even at that time, is a flaming idiot.

Of course, "flaming idiots" is a good description of many of the "serious" people we see on TV being offered up as experts on foreign policy. I really wonder if they have ever been anywhere more foreign than the next nearest supermarket to their own houses.


No comments: