Friday, October 17, 2008

Japan Writes To Me

[This is a 1000 Yen note. Apparently, I'll be adding a few of these to my growing collection of international money. Image credit: Japanorama.]







I received this e-mail today:

From: BUSINESS PROPOSA FROM JAPAN <mr_haruya@invalid.com.invalid>
To: undisclosed-recipients@null, null@null
Subject: BUSINESS PROPOSA FROM JAPAN
Date: Oct 17, 2008 4:51 AM


I am Mr Haruya Uehara,Deputy chairman of Tokyo Mitsubishi ufj Bank. I have a business proposal that has to do with the transfer of funds ,It will be of immense benefit to the both of us.


Your full names

Age

Location


Yours Sincerely,

Mr Haruya Uehara

Once again, it appears I'm up for some big payoff, possibly due to my immense expertise in international finance.

Tell you what, Haruya-san, right after the check from the Malaysians clears, I'll get back to you.

Who knew international finance would be so easy?

Needless to say, I've altered the "From" e-mail address, on the chance that it belongs to someone legitimate. (I love that addressee list, don't you? Kinda says it all ...)

UPDATE: Apparently, someone did a little research before launching this scam. There actually is a Haruya Uehara who is a big muckity-muck at the Mitsubishi Bank. Needless to say, that e-mail didn't come from him, so please don't go asking him why he's doing this. He's not. I don't know a great deal about Japan, but I'm quite sure that even there presidents of national banks don't write foreigners whose net worth doesn't exceed their annual executive washroom budget about a funds transfer. That's particularly true when they don't even know who that foreigner is.


No comments: