Monday, November 24, 2008

In The News

Oh, my god, Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are eloping. I had no idea. Part of the reason is that I have no idea who Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are. Yet their alleged elopement is the big news at Google News right now. I can't decide whether it's sadder that I don't know who these apparently important people are, or that this is considered headline news.

Yes, I know, I could do an Internet search and find out who they are, but I don't care.

Oh, wait, I can decide. It's sadder that this is considered important news.

I don't know what this says about America. We certainly have better things to be concerned with. I suppose one could say the same thing about sports, that it's a form of entertainment, but even as a form of entertainment this strikes me as pretty lame.


4 comments:

One Fly said...

Don't have a clue either who these people are but I do know a whole passle of Montags.

If this situation gets real bad even the kids aren't going to give a shit about nobodys like these two.

Cujo359 said...

I can only think of two Montags I know in any sense of the word. One is the main character in Fahrenheit 451, the other a sometimes-profound commenter at some other blogs. Somehow, I doubt Heidi was either.

SWE said...

How could I have missed this?! Google news always pops up a healthy dose of what I don't wanna think people are actually reading.

Worse, of course, is CNN. Where do real people go to get actual news? I give up and go to Fark, because they're upfront about it all being nonsense.

Cujo359 said...

Perhaps you missed the fifteen-minute window, SWE. I'm sure there's a different celebrity who's done something unremarkable to discuss.

If by "real people", you mean me, I often go to the BBC site. The New York Times sometimes has good content, too. Beyond that, it's pretty tough. There's nothing worth watching on TV, near as I can tell, unless you can get the BBC on cable.