Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday Photo(s)

As promised last week, here are a few shots of flowers from the Rhododendron Species Garden. Here, Dana demonstrates the rather impressive size rhodies can achieve:
Image credit: Cujo359

They come in many colors, too:
Image credit: Cujo359

Did I mention that they come in different colors?
Image credit: Cujo359

Sad to say, I don't know what particular species these bushes are, because in many cases there were no signs evident. Here's an exception:
Image credit: Cujo359

The reddish one in the foreground is Rhododendron kesangiea, according to the sign. I don't know what the big purple one is, but it appears to be Rhododendron augustinii in a later photo.

Well, that's enough for now. Guess it's time to head to the garden. Enjoy your Sunday.


4 comments:

Suzanne said...

gorgeous cujo simply gorgeous.

i've got very old rhododendrons here that come up to eye level looking through my second story windows. the house is 100 years old but i don't know how old they are.

Cujo359 said...

Growth rates vary, of course, but I suspect that plant is decades old. Most of the ones I've seen don't grow all that much from year to year.

Dana Hunter said...

And to think I'd almost given the rhodie gardens a miss, because I thought rhodies were boring. Thanks again for talking me in to seeing them in all their glory, and thanks for the pretty flowers!

Cujo359 said...

You're welcome on both counts.