Friday, July 8, 2011

George Carlin On Why We're So Screwed

This video has been making the rounds, and it's certainly topical at the moment:



For background, see Glenn Greenwald or lawguy, or look at this credulous fool asking a loaded question in support of Obama's latest attempt to gut Social Security, and then insulting the intelligence of everyone who tries to point out how wrong he is. Didn't wanna read no firebaggers, ya know. I'm amazed he didn't call us all racists.

Needless to say, this individual had never been to that site before, at least not under that name. The URL he provided was bogus, too. Go figure.

This has been part of the Obama Way ever since Iowa - spin up all these rude little dipsticks and then send them all around the Internet to sites that are critical of his actions. I've been arguing with them since 2007, and, not surprisingly, they are no smarter now than they were then. Once you go around insulting people, it's a lot harder to admit you're wrong. Odds are they never will, even those few who actually are smart enough to learn.

So, not only do we have to put up with a declining standard of living and the gradual loss of freedom, but we have to put up with all these little clowns who couldn't get an education that was good enough to allow them to ask intelligent questions, and who nonetheless seem to think themselves astoundingly clever because they can think up insults for those who did.

I'm just going to reiterate something that has been a comments policy here since I started this blog - pointless insults will disappear. That applies to insults both to me and other commenters. If you have a point to make, make it, but piling insult upon ad hominem will not fly here, nor will anything that smells of astroturfing. If you show up here for the first time with arguments like that, you won't be around for long.


3 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

Excellent post! I'm in awe. And that doesn't happen often. Impressed, yes. Awe, no.

Cujo359 said...

Well, you don't need to praise me to hang around here, but it helps.

Thanks for the kind words.

Paul Sunstone said...

You'd better bookmark it. I felt exhausted of all praise after writing that. Consequently, I've been traveling around the blogosphere dissing everyone else today.

Seriously, Cujo -- just for the record -- you've got one of the sharpest minds I've come across on the net.

Of course, I don't get out much. And when I do, I'm heavily medicated. And, even then, my judgement is subject to randomness. But for what it's worth, you've got one of the sharpest minds so far as I can tell. You should be proud.