Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Photo(s)

A few days ago, Dana Hunter posted an article about Airfield Park in Martha Lake, Washington. She went on about this big rock that the glaciers carried here during one Ice Age or another. And, yes, to misquote Maxwell Smart, it's the second biggest glacial erratic I've ever seen (now that I think about it, I remember seeing a photo of an even bigger one in the Midwest somewhere long ago). Strangely, though, she didn't mention the park's other wonders.

Caption: Airfield Park, including the skateboard park on the left, the world's most solidly built picnic roof, and a large rock.

Image credit: All photos by Cujo359

For one thing, there's this skateboard park, which looks almost as strange in real life as it does in this picture:


For another thing, there's this pavilion:


I've never seen a covering for picnic tables that was built anywhere near this solidly. As many military installations as I've visited, that's saying something. I think you could set that rock on top of the pavilion, and about all you'd do is dent the roof a little.

Here's one of the columns. I've seen less solidly constructed pillboxes:


I have to wonder what they thought they were building it for.

The other wonder of Airfield Park is the airfield. It's easy to miss when you're gazing at the park's other wonders, but here it is:


A runway and a stainless steel paper airplane right next to it. Is that not awesome?

Speaking of which, I have no idea what these are supposed to be. Nearby skyscrapers, perhaps?


The second biggest glacial erratic I've ever seen, the most solidly constructed picnic table cover ever, and a stainless steel paper airplane - I think that's enough awesomeness for one week. Have a good Sunday.


2 comments:

Dana Hunter said...

I take you to all the best places, don't I just? ;-P

One Fly said...

I like the paper airplane a bunch.