Monday, July 18, 2011

Quote Of The Day

Robert Reich, on what goes on in Washington, DC:
I’ve spent enough of my life in Washington to take its theatrics with as much seriousness as a Seinfeld episode. A large portion of what passes for policy debate isn’t at all — it’s play-acting for various constituencies. The actors know they’re acting, as do their protagonists on the other side who are busily putting on their own plays for their own audiences.

The Dangerous Hi-Jinks of the GOP’s Juveniles
All of which, I think, is true. This is why I don't take much of anything that's said by politicians that seriously if it's not backed up with their actions. I've seen this sort of thing play out too many times. Hey, I'd seen it enough when I was in my teens to figure that out, and things mostly have gotten worse since then. Or maybe I'm just more perceptive now.

Reich's article is about the Republican playacting on the debt ceiling. It's spot on, though it largely ignores what the Democrats are doing. Their act isn't playing too well, either, particularly President Obama trying to handle the role of The Adult In The Room. It's been a pretty lame performance so far. He needs to find his motivation.

The only thing that makes Democrats look good is the contrast with Republicans, and even that is getting to be a thinner contrast by the day.


2 comments:

One Fly said...

I don't think it's as peachy as you make it out to be Cujo and I'm talking a rotten peach you threw out here.

It's all grand standing for sure and no matter what happens the little guy will have less thanks to bama. Watch it happen.

Cujo359 said...

I don't know how much worse it could be than what I think. We're in a depression, and will be for several more years. If things don't change politically, it could be a lot longer.