Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Directions

Hah, hah:



As you may have noted from my bio, I've made a living programming computers. I've also spent a lot of time testing them. That means I never quite trust them completely. There's always some bit of code or some component that can go wrong. Unless that code is tested like the avionics in a space shuttle or an airliner, I assume that it has at least a few bad moments in its future.

I've also noticed that GPS maps don't always know the best way to get somewhere. Occasionally, they don't even understand how the streets work. People who live or work in an area usually know these things.

Which is a long way of saying that, if you ever put me through a conversation like this, then have me cooling my heels or missing out on some time-sensitive thing because you didn't want to listen to directions, plan on spending some time when you finally do arrive discussing what a pure bred moron you are.

Backup plans aren't just for the insecure; they're also for people who know how things work.


No comments: