Monday, October 17, 2011

Quote Of The Day

Lambert Strether, at Corrente:
I'm so old, I remember when the Washington Post ran stories I wanted to read
If nothing else, it's another handy rejoinder to "how old" jokes.

I used to beat up on the WaPo fairly often. Now, I've gotten to the point where I have to ask why anyone would bother. With an exception of one reporter or two, it gave up on the idea of doing real journalism a long time ago. Now it's just a propaganda outlet for conservatives and "middle of the road" Democrats - more conservatives, in other words. The scandal a couple of years ago, when it literally tried to sell access to reporters to advertisers, was something I thought barely worth noting at the time. It just formalized an arrangement that was clearly in place for some time.

It used to be a decent paper, if a tad sensationalist. Now, it has no useful place in our society beyond lining the cages of particularly incontinent parrots. Yes, I wouldn't even wrap a fish in it.


No comments: